Fighting Words is committed to the development of young playwrights in collaboration with theatres across the island of Ireland.
We give young writers the opportunity to find their storytelling voice through scripts and performance in our Young Playwrights workshops.
Developing Young Voices in Theatre For Over a Decade
Beginning with our partnership with the Abbey Theatre, Ireland's national theatre, over ten years ago, the Fighting Words Young Playwrights programme has expanded and is aimed at young writers who would like to learn more about the art, craft and mechanics of playwriting.
At each workshop, we explore the artform with a focus on character building, scene-work, dialogue, improvisations, live writing as well as observation exercises and stagecraft. Young Playwrights workshops feature special guests such as actors, writers, playwrights, designers and directors.
We can help you develop your individual voice as a playwright.
Above all the Young Playwrights programme offers the experience of the joy of theatre.
Young Playwrights programmes are offered in Dublin, Cork, Kildare and Mayo as well as a national online programme.
Participants are invited to apply in the autumn and workshops run until the spring.
The following theatres are Young Playwrights partners:
- Belfast: The Lyric
- Coleraine: The Riverside
- Cork: Graffiti Theatre Company & The Everyman Theatre
- Derry: The Playhouse Theatre
- Dublin: The Abbey Theatre
- Galway: New Arts Centre
- Kildare: The Riverbank Arts Centre
- Mayo: The Linenhall Arts Centre
- Wicklow: The Mermaid Arts Centre
More Information & Links
- For more information about Young Playwrights Dublin, contact Mark Davidson
- For more information about Young Playwrights Cork, contact Julie O’Leary
- For more information about Young Playwrights Wicklow and Kildare, contact Pierina Campbell
- For all other locations, contact Colm Quearney
Find out about previous playwriting projects in News