Young People in Dún Laoghaire Rathdown - Submit Your Story And Be A Part Of It’s Lit(erary) Issue 3!
Fighting Words and dlr Libraries invite members of dlr Lexicon to tell us what they think of the future!
Submit your story for the third issue of It’s Lit(erary)!
Each year, Fighting Words and dlr Libraries have worked with secondary schools in the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown area to write stories with some very cool young people! The aim of It's Lit(erary) is to celebrate young voices and the Young Adult genre - offering young voices a creative space to express themselves!
This year, while we continue our work with surrounding secondary schools, we also wanted to reach out to ALL young members of dlr Lexicon Library to be part of this project!
Our theme for discussion this year is CHANGE FOR THE BETTER.
Change is a major discussion around the world lately. What issues can you see in the world, or affect you the most? What would you like to change, or do you have solutions? We invite you to write a piece on this theme - whatever it means for you - which will be published in a digital anthology on the Fighting Words website.
Submissions invited from young authors from 8 -18 years of age!
What You Need To Know To Submit Your Story!
- Submissions open on Friday, 20th March 2023 at 12pm and close on Friday 14th April 2023 at 5pm
- Maximum word count: 1,500 words
- Submissions may be in English or in Irish
- Writing forms include short story, poem, lyrics, play, diary entry, speech, comic, photograph (preferably with a written piece included)
- Submissions must be a Microsoft Word or Google Docs document - please DO NOT send submission as PDF format as they cannot be edited (if submission includes photograph, please ensure it is a JPEG file in a Microsoft or Google Docs document)
Authors can be ages of 8 - 18 years of age.
IMPORTANT: All submissions should be sent to email@example.com with IT’S LIT(ERARY) SUBMISSION in the subject line.
Please include the following information in the body of the email:
- Name of author
- Age of author
- Title of piece
- Word Count (please note maximum of 1,500 words)
- Parent/Guardian Name if author is under 18
- Parent/Guardian Contact Telephone Number if author is under 18
- Contact details of author if 18+
IMPORTANT: Submissions from children and teenagers should be made on their behalf from a parent/guardian email address.
All submissions will be acknowledged by email and entrants will receive a copy of the terms and conditions. Fighting Words reserve the right not to publish submissions if details listed above are not included. Any questions should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with IT’S LIT(ERARY) QUESTION in the subject line.
Please bear in mind our Terms and Conditions
Fighting Words are responsible for storing your data securely.
By submitting a piece of writing or other artwork to this project, you accept that Fighting Words and their project partners may use your information in connection with the creation of the project It’s Lit(erary) and publish your child’s contribution digitally. All rights are reserved to you as the parent of the author / artist and Fighting Words and the project partners.
No unauthorised person will gain access to your information. Your email address will not be used for purposes other than to communicate with you directly regarding It’s Lit(erary).
Terms and Conditions:
- All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these Terms and Conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the parent/guardian of the entrant agrees to abide by these rules.
- Submissions open on 20th March 2023.
- Closing date for submissions 14th April 2023.
- Submissions received after this date will not be accepted.
- Submissions are based on the creation of a short story, poem, play, diary entry, speech, comic, photograph (preferably with a written piece included) that does not exceed 1,500 words.
- All written work accompanying the submission must be the work of the individual making the submission. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian of the entrant to ensure that any content that they submit does not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws.
- Copyright of submissions remains with the entrant.
- Any submissions with references to nudity, racism, drug use, extreme profanity or other objectionable content will be rejected and excluded.
- For all applicants, copyright of the creative work will remain with the entrant, however, Fighting Words and dlr Libraries, together with its funders will be granted permission by the parent/guardian of entrants to worldwide, irrevocable and perpetual licence to feature the creative work in any of their publications, promotional material and websites.
- By entering creative work to “It’s Lit(erary)”, entrants agree to the collection, retention, usage and distribution of their personal information to process and contact them about their submission and for the purposes outlined in these Terms and Conditions.
- The promoter of this project is Fighting Words, Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin
1 D01 WD53 and dlr LexIcon Library, Haigh Terrace, Moran Park, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin A96 H283
Fighting Words and dlr Libraries accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by entrants submitting creative work.
All submissions should be sent to email@example.com with IT’S LIT(ERARY) SUBMISSION in the subject line.
- Read previous issues of It's Lit(erary) in Publications
- Looking for inspiration? Check out our advice on writing in Writing Resources for Kids!