Fighting Words Summer Camps 2023: Schedule and Information
We are no longer accepting new applications - thank you for your interest
Our fun and FREE summer programmes are back this July and August!
Fighting Words summer camps offer fantastic opportunities to get creative! Would you like to explore your imagination through stories, comics, plays or songs? Apply for a place today!
Our camps this year will be offered to three age groups: 8-10 years, 11-13 years and 14-17 years. All camps are completely free of charge.
As always, our camps are highly participatory and a lot of fun. Come and get creative with us this summer!
Application Deadline: 5pm on Friday, 2 June - apply today!
Parents who have applied for a place will be advised no later than Wednesday, 14 June
Schedule and Information
Days and Times
- Camps for 8-10 years run over three days from 10am to 2pm
- Camps for 11-13 years and 14-17 years run over four days from 10am to 3pm
- Most camps at the Fighting Words centre at Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1 D01 WD53
- Fiction Writing camp from July 10-13 will take place at the Robert Emmet Community Development Project, 3 Usher Street, Dublin 8 D08 T202
Dublin Camp Schedule – July 2023
- July 3 - 5: Create a Comic, 8-10 years: Create your own comic book with a team of artists and illustrators. No drawing experience required, only imagination!
- July 10-13: Fiction Writing, 11-13 years: Explore aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers through exercises and prompts and receive advice on your own creative writing. (at Robert Emmet Community Development Project, 3 Usher Street, Dublin 8 D08 T202)
- July 10 - 13: Scríbhneoireacht Fhicsin as Gaeilge, 8-10 bliana d'aois: Foghlaim gnéithe de scríbhneoireacht fhicsin le scríbhneoirí cleachtaithe trí spriocanna agus gníomhaíochtaí agus faigh comhairle ar do chuid scríbhneoireachta cruthaitheach féin - trí Ghaeilge! (in ionad Fighting Words)
- July 17-20: Playwriting, 11-13 years: Work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
- July 24-27: Playwriting, 14-17 years: Work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
Dublin Camp Schedule – August 2023
- July 31 - August 3: Filmmaking, 11-13 years: Write and create your own short film with our team of experienced script writers and filmmakers.
- August 8-10: Fiction Writing, 8-10 years: Explore aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers and receive advice on your own creative writing.
- August 14-17: Songwriting, 14-17 years: Create your own song (or songs!). We will discuss and explore various types of songs and approaches to songwriting with plenty of help and advice. No musical instrument required – the focus is on writing.
Apply Today! Application Deadline: 5pm on Friday, 2 June
Important Terms and Conditions for All Camps – Please Read Carefully
Applying for a Place
- Apply for a place for your child by submitting the online application form.
- Submitting an application form does not guarantee a place.
- Places will be allocated using a lottery system to guarantee fairness.
- Age ranges: due to high demand for places, we are very strict regarding the age ranges for each camp.
- Application forms for children who are outside the stated age ranges will NOT be considered.
- In the case of siblings, please use separate application forms for each child.
- If your child is interested in more than one camp, please complete a form for each camp.
- Please note that due to high demand and limited numbers, children are only permitted to attend one camp.
- If your child receives a place, please confirm it as soon as possible.
- Failure to confirm a place may result in the loss of the place and a reallocation of the place to a child on the wait list.
- All camps are delivered by experienced writers/artists and Fighting Words staff and volunteer writing mentors.
- Our staff, workshop facilitators and volunteer mentors are trained in our child protection procedures and are Garda vetted.
Publication of Work
Fighting Words publishes work from each participant or group of participants to celebrate their creativity and achievement.
Copyright of the work created at Fighting Words rests with the authors, with permission granted to Fighting Words to feature the creative work in any of their publications, promotional materials and websites.
We take photographs of our programmes in action for inclusion on our website, social media and other promotional materials about our work. All participants will be included.
Please note that this is a requirement for participation and not optional.
If your child is unable to attend a Fighting Words summer camp for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. Any available places will be offered to children on the waiting list via lottery.
Just a Few More Things…
- All participants are expected to abide by the Fighting Words Positive Behaviour Policy.
- All camps are free of charge, but participants will need to bring a lunch and their own drinks.