Fighting Words Summer Camps 2021
Registrations Are Now Closed.
Parents will be advised of places by Monday, 21 June
Schedule and Information for Parents
We are delighted to announce the schedule of FREE summer camps at Fighting Words for 2021!
Camps this year will be offered to two age groups: 11-13 years and 14-17 years. All camps run from Monday to Thursday, 10am to 3pm and are completely free of charge. Our camps are highly participatory and a lot of fun. Come explore your creativity with us this summer!
Camps in July will be online. Camps in August will be in-person at the Fighting Words centre in Dublin. Full details are below.
Please note: We have had to restrict participation this year both in age range and participant numbers in line with Government public health guidelines and to ensure everyone’s safety. We hope to expand offerings to include younger age groups and larger numbers of participants in 2022.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday, 11 June 2021.
Click here for our application form!
Parents who have applied for a place will be advised no later than Monday, 21 June 2021
Online Camp Schedule – July 2021
July 12-15: Playwriting, 11-13 years: Work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
July 19-22: Graphic Fiction, 14-17 years: Create your own graphic fiction/comic storyline with a team of artists and illustrators. No drawing experience required, only imagination!
July 26-29: Fiction Writing, 11-13 years: Explore aspects of writing fiction with experienced writers through exercises and prompts and receive advice on your own creative writing.
In-Person Summer Camps* – August 2021
August 9-12: Playwriting, 14-17 years: Work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
August 16-19: Songwriting, 14-17 years: Spend four days creating your own song (or songs!). We will discuss and explore various types of songs and approaches to songwriting with plenty of help and advice. No musical instrument required – the focus is on writing.
*Camps may need to be offered online in the event of a revision to Government public health guidelines
Important Information for All Camps – Please Read Carefully
- Apply for a place for your child by submitting the online application form on the website.
- You will receive an email once an application is received.
- Places will be allocated using a lottery system to guarantee fairness.
- Submitting an application form does not guarantee a place.
- Age ranges: due to high demand for places, we are very strict in regard to the age ranges for each camp. Application forms for children who are outside the age ranges will NOT be considered.
- In the case of siblings, please use separate application forms for each child.
- If your child is interested in more than one camp, please complete a form for each camp.
- Please note that due to high demand, children are only permitted to attend one camp.
- If your child receives a place, please confirm it as soon as possible. Failure to confirm a place may result in the loss of the place and a reallocation of the place to a child on the wait list.
- All camps are free of charge but participants may need access to technology and/or to bring a lunch.
- All participants are expected to abide by the Fighting Words Positive Behaviour Policy.
- All camps are delivered by experienced writers/artists and Fighting Words staff.
- Our volunteer mentors are trained in our child protection procedures and are Garda vetted.
- Publication: Fighting Words publishes work from each participant or group of participants to celebrate their creativity and achievement. Copyright of the work created at Fighting Words rests with the authors, with permission granted to Fighting Words to feature the creative work in any of their publications, promotional materials and websites.
- Photographs/Filming: We take photographs of our programmes in action for inclusion on our website, social media and other promotional materials about our work. All participants will be included. Please note that this is requirement for participation and not optional.
- Cancellation Policy: If your child is unable to attend a Fighting Words summer camp for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. Any available places will be offered to children on the waiting list.
Camp Structure and Requirements
All camps will run Monday to Thursday, 10am to 3pm. Further details will be provided to parents in advance.
Online summer camps will feature a series of pre-recorded videos, meetings on Zoom and email feedback. Information will be made available at set times and participants will be given time to complete writing tasks.
Personalised feedback will be provided daily by the camp facilitators. Specific, detailed information will be provided to parents in advance of each camp.
All participants will need to have access to a computer and an internet connection and a Zoom account for the duration of the camp.
The 2021 in-person summer camps will take place at the Fighting Words centre at Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1.
Specific and detailed information will be provided to parents in advance of each camp but the focus will be on creativity and fun in small group settings and the production of individual work.
All participants will be expected to adhere to Government public health guidelines and must remain at the Fighting Words centre for the duration of the camp. Face coverings will be required.
In the event of a revision to Government public health guidelines, please note that camps may need to be offered online.
Questions? Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org