Bookings for the 2020-2021 School Year Are Open!
Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis. While we are happy to answer queries from parents, we will only confirm places directly with students.
Please note that the following weeks are now fully booked at our Dublin centre:
- October 12th
- October 19th
- November 16th
- November 30th
- January 25th
- February 1st
- February 8th
If you are interested in working with children and/or the creative arts, a Transition Year work experience placement is a great learning opportunity and a lot of fun! During work experience week placements, students assist with our primary school workshops, including set up and clean up, from 9.30am to 12.30pm. A different class visits us each morning, from primary schools all over the Dublin area. Students spend the first half of the morning writing a story as a group and the second half of the morning writing individual endings to that story. Work experience students are part of the team of volunteer writing tutors who deliver the workshop each day, supervised by Fighting Words staff.
Placements are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. As placements with us are very popular, students are encouraged to contact us as soon as you know your work experience dates.
Fighting Words is a Gaisce Challenge Partner! If you are working toward your Bronze Award in Transition Year, you can find out more here.
Fighting Words accepts 4th year (Transition Year) students for work experience on the following basis:
- One day per week for a minimum of four weeks at our centres in Dublin and Glencree, Co. Wicklow. Students must be available one day per week for a minimum of four weeks on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday for a minimum of four weeks. We do not run workshops on Fridays.
- Week-long placements at our centres in Dublin and Glencree, from Monday through Thursday, from 9.30am to 12.30pm. Students are strongly encouraged to stay for Write Club on Wednesday afternoon.
Important Information About Garda Vetting:
- If you will be 15 years old at the time of your placement. you are NOT required to be Garda vetted.
- If you will be 16 years old at the time of your placement, you are LEGALLY REQUIRED to be Garda vetted.
- Please note that Fighting Words DOES NOT conduct Garda vetting for TY students. You may ONLY apply for a place at Fighting Words if your school provides Garda vetting for students - check with your school for details. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU WILL BE VETTED BY YOUR SCHOOL DURING YOUR PLACEMENT DATES.
Please contact Sara Bennett, General Manager, with any queries about our TY programme.