Our Dublin Transition Year diary is now full for 2019-2020. We are no longer accepting applications for our Dublin centre. The 2020-2021 diary will open in April 2020.
Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis. While we are happy to answer queries from parents, we will only confirm places directly with students.
If you are interested in working with children and/or the creative arts, a Transition Year work experience placement is a great learning opportunity and a lot of fun! During work experience week placements, students assist with our primary school workshops, including set up and clean up, from 9.30am to 12.30pm. A different class visits us each morning, from primary schools all over the Dublin area. Students spend the first half of the morning writing a story as a group and the second half of the morning writing individual endings to that story. Work experience students are part of the team of volunteer writing tutors who deliver the workshop each day, supervised by Fighting Words staff.
Placements are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. As placements with us are very popular, students are encouraged to contact us as soon as you know your work experience dates.
Fighting Words accepts 4th year (Transition Year) students for work experience on the following basis:
- One day per week for a minimum of four weeks at our centres in Dublin and Glencree, Co. Wicklow. Students must be available one day per week for a minimum of four weeks on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday for a minimum of four weeks. We do not run workshops on Fridays.
- Week-long placements at our centres in Dublin and Glencree, from Monday through Thursday, from 9.30am to 12.30pm. Students are strongly encouraged to stay for Write Club on Wednesday afternoon.
Important Information About Garda Vetting:
- If you will be 15 years old at the time of your placement. you are NOT required to be Garda vetted.
- If you will be 16 years old at the time of your placement, you are LEGALLY REQUIRED to be Garda vetted.
- Please note that Fighting Words DOES NOT conduct Garda vetting for TY students on week-long placements. You may apply for a place at Fighting Words if your school provides Garda vetting for students - check with your school for details. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU WILL BE VETTED BY YOUR SCHOOL DURING YOUR PLACEMENT DATES.
- Fighting Words DOES conduct Garda vetting for TY students on placement one day per week, subject to conditions. Contact us for details.
Click here for the Transition Year Placement Application Form FOR WICKLOW PLACEMENTS ONLY.
Please contact Sara Bennett, General Manager, with any queries about our TY programme or contact the office on 01 894 4576.