Fighting Words Is Seeking A Development and Outreach Officer.
Fighting Words, the creative writing centre for writers of all ages, is seeking a Development and Outreach Officer. Since our establishment in Dublin in 2009, Fighting Words has expanded and now offers programmes in eight locations on the island of Ireland. If you would like further opportunities for children and young people to develop their creative voices, Fighting Words may be looking for you!
Based at our centre in Dublin, the Development and Outreach Officer will be responsible for supporting existing Fighting Words regional outlets, assisting in the establishment of new outlets and helping to build relationships with partner organisations both as creative collaborators and service users. The post holder will also monitor quality control and coordinate national co-operation at all Fighting Words locations.
- Providing advice and assistance to key stakeholders in the planning, establishment and development of Fighting Words outlets around the country to ensure consistency across all venues.
- Maintaining quality control of and assisting with volunteer administration for regional outlets, including recruitment, reference checking, Garda/police vetting, training and supporting regional outlets in developing their workshop leaders.
- Liaising with regional outlet coordinators in development of creative writing programmes and projects based on local demand and on the talents, interests and contacts of locally-based volunteers, including providing programming for people with additional needs and/or in specific creative genres, e.g. scriptwriting, graphic fiction, songwriting, memoir writing, etc.
- Liaising with key local Fighting Words stakeholders in rolling out countrywide collaborative programmes for Fighting Words outlets, e.g. playwriting, Irish Times supplement, anthologies, etc.
- Identifying further countrywide programmes for working with other arts, cultural and educational organisations on collaborative projects.
- Ensuring quality control for workshops and publishing and ensuring stories from and about regional outlets are featured on the Fighting Words website and social media outlets.
- Taking guidance from and providing feedback about the regional outlets and programmes for the Fighting Words Education Director’s DCU research on the impact of the Fighting Words model on teacher training and the education system.
- Reporting to and undertaking any other duties as identified by the General Manager in line with the Fighting Words Strategic Plan.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Familiarity with the Fighting Words ethos, organisation, programmes and workshop models
- Previous experience working with students of all ages, particularly children and young adults, in either a formal or informal setting
- Relevant third-level qualification(s) in education, the creative arts or other related area
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, including writing for social media
- Ability to initiate and work independently, with proven decision-making skills
- Working knowledge of the education system in Ireland
- Flexibility with regard to working hours – the position will require travel and out-of-hours work
- Familiarity with volunteer management best practice and/or experience as a volunteer
- Access to own transport not essential but an advantage
Fighting Words is offering a competitive salary and benefits package for this one-year fixed-term contract post. The post holder must be available to start no later thanSeptember 1st.
To apply, send your CV and a cover letter addressing how your skills and experience meet the candidate criteria to Sara Bennett, General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Tuesday, July 10th. Interviews will be held the week of August 13th. Canvassing will immediately disqualify.
Fighting Words is committed to the equality of opportunity.