Due to demand for places, we are unable to accept late applications.
We are delighted to announce the schedule of FREE summer camps at Fighting Words for 2019!
Our camps are highly participatory and a lot of fun. Come explore your creativity with us this summer!
All camps take place at Fighting Words, Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1
10am to 3pm for the older age groups (11 - 13 years and 14 - 17 years)
10am to 2pm for the younger age group (8 - 10 years)
Cost: FREE! (Yes, really!)
- May 20th: Applications open
- June 4th: Applications close at 5.00pm
- June 12th: Parents who have applied for a place will be advised no later than this date
Don't forget to read the IMPORTANT INFORMATION section below for full terms and conditions!
July 8 - 11 (Monday - Thursday): Playwriting, 14-17 years Participants will work with experienced scriptwriters and theatre practitioners to begin developing a script, devising characters and exploring stage craft.
July 15 – 17 (Monday – Wednesday) Shadow Puppetry, 8-10 years Participants will create a series of characters and take them on a story-writing adventure. They will learn how to tell stories using light and shadows and will then create their own piece to be performed on the final day!
July 22 - 25 (Monday – Thursday): Fiction Writing, 11-13 years Participants will have the opportunity to explore writing fiction with experienced writers and receive advice on the various aspects of creative writing.
July 29 – August 1 (Monday - Thursday): Songwriting, 14-17 years Participants will discuss and explore various types of songs and approaches to songwriting – and write their own song – or songs!. Please note: While there is no emphasis on performance during this camp, if participants would like to bring a musical instrument, they are very welcome to do so.
August 6 – August 8 (Tuesday - Thursday): Joke Writing, 8-10 years Participants will explore approaches to comedy writing and develop their own booklet of highly entertaining jokes!
August 12 - 15 (Monday - Thursday): Science Fiction, 14-17 years Participants will imagine a range alternative worlds and realities through prose and/or other media. In association with WorldCon, the 77th World Science Fiction Convention!
August 19 - 22 (Monday - Thursday): Print and Poetry, 11-13 years Participants create original poetry and then produce illustrations through print making. No drawing experience required, only imagination!
Important Information For All Camps - Please Read Carefully
- Apply for a place for your child by submitting the online application form. We will NOT hold a place for your child without a form - you MUST apply for a place by submitting a form.
- You will receive an an email after submitting an application form successfully. This email will include the camp name for which you have applied.
- Submitting an application form does not guarantee a place.
- Places will be allocated using a lottery system to guarantee fairness.
- Age ranges: due to high demand for places, we are very strict in regard to the age ranges for each camp. Application forms for children who are outside the age ranges will NOT be considered.
- Siblings: In the case of siblings, please use separate application forms for each child.
- If your child is interested in more than one camp, please complete a form for each camp. Please note that due to high demand, children are only permitted to attend one camp.
- We will advise if your child has a place no later than Wednesday, June 12th.
Confirming a Place
- If your child receives a place, please confirm it as soon as possible by email.
- Failure to confirm a place may result in the loss of the place and a reallocation of the place to a child on the wait list.
- Camps will run for three or four days. See the schedule below for full details.
- We will provide all materials for each camp. The only thing your child will need to bring is a packed lunch.
- All camps are free of charge.
- All participants are expected to abide by the Fighting Words Positive Behaviour Policy, which will be distributed to parents prior to the start of each camp.
- All camps are run by experienced writers/artists.
- Our tutors are trained in our child protection procedures and are Garda vetted.
Cancellation Policy: If your child is unable to attend a Fighting Words summer camp for any reason, please contact us as soon as possible. Any available places will be offered to children on the waiting list.
Photographs/Filming: We photograph and/or film our programmes in action for inclusion on our website, social media and other promotional materials about our work. All participants will be included. Please note that this is requirement for participation and not optional.
Questions? Contact Sara Bennett, General Manager